Hi there, my name is Kamila and I’m from the Netherlands. I grew up bilingual speaking both Dutch and Turkish and taught myself many other languages like English, Spanish, German, French, and Portuguese. Most people know me as the polyglot who shares her progress on social media.
My goal is to inspire and motivate language learners by showing them how I learn and help them reach their language goals by using activities that fit their learning style.
What is Polyglot’s Diary?
Fun fact: I first started Polyglot’s Diary to improve my English. Back in 2016, I was teaching myself Spanish and thought it would be a fun idea to write posts about my approach and progress. I wanted to study a Master’s Degree and that would be in completely English so I had a lot to improve.
Officially, a polyglot is someone who has reached a high proficiency in at least four languages. It’s a word with a Greek origin. Poly means multiple and glot means tongue (language). I wasn’t officially a polyglot but I knew that someday I would be and this blog was not more than a diary where I answered some simple language-related questions of my friends.
Nowadays, Polyglot’s Diary is more than a blog for my friends. I use it to inspire everyone and describe my language goals, tips, and strategies. Every day, I learn something new about learning and every language has challenges that I try to overcome.
Learning and maintaining several languages is a challenge in itself and I’m still learning how to deal with.
The tips I describe are based on my personal language learning experience and I occasionally invite teachers and other polyglots to write guest posts.
I like to collaborate with polyglots, teachers, and start-ups. Here are some of my guest posts:
- Smart Language Learner: Energy-boosting Rituals to do before Learning a Language
- Alpha Beta Greek: 9 Confidence Boosting Tips to Improve Your Speaking Skills
- That Krazy Korean: 6 Killer Language Learning Tips to Write Your Way to Fluency
- Language Preschools: Why the One Person One Language (OPOL) Approach Is Important for Raising Bilingual Children
- Language learner’s Journal: How to stick to your language learning plan and be proud of yourself
- Ikenna’s Channel: How we learned 9 languages
- My Fluent Podcast: 4 things that helped me improve my English (that was my very first recording in English)
I wrote the foreword of the book How to Learn a Language in a Month from Jia Li (it’s going to be published soon)
Some other places where I’ve been featured:
- Best of the Language Learning Web – 19 Great Links from February 2018 on Smart Language Learner
- Top 10 language blogs for 2017 on Language Learner’s Journal
- 50 extraordinary women who will inspire you to learn a language on Joy of Languages
- Favorite Language Blog of June on Language Learner’s Journal
Would you like to collaborate with me? Head over to my contact page.
Do you want to know more about me?
Read my one of my favorite posts:
And follow me on social media: